If you are a senior citizen in South Africa who requires 24 hours of care, and you want to live in an older persons’ residence, or if you would like to be paid for your living, please contact us today. As about 46% of the South African population receives the Sassa grant, they can take part in the Sassa old-age pension program. Applicants must be 60 years or older to qualify for this grant.
This grant is generally referred to as the old age pension due to its nature as a monthly income for those over 60 years of age who do not have any other financial resources. Listed below you will find all the information you need to apply for South African Sassa old age pension grant. You can check Sassa status online.
About the older person’s grant
Age is a fact that no one can escape, and most people don’t have enough support from their children or retirement plans in the form of residences or money.
To qualify for the Sassa old age grant, you must meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be unable to work in order to be eligible for this grant
- South African citizens, permanent residents, or refugees are eligible to apply
- Except for South Africa, the candidate does not live in any other country
- There is no benefit from another social institute for the candidate.
- An applicant cannot be incarcerated, undergoing rehabilitation, or living in a state-run old-age home.
- Ensure your spouse meets the mean test requirement as well.
You may enjoy reading How To Change Your Banking Details For SRD Grant?
The Means test: what does it mean?
Whether or not you qualify for the SASSA older persons grant depends on the mean test. To ensure only right and serveful applicants receive financial assistance and grants, SASSA works hard and tries to put all its efforts into determining that only those who are right and serve deserve it. As a result, Sassa set many limitations and monetary thresholds before taking action in the verification process.
It is directly related to your private income whether you receive an older person’s grant. It has been stated by SASSA that “grants for older persons, war veterans, and people with disabilities are paid according to a sliding scale.” Therefore, if you have a high income, your grant amount will be reduced.
You and your spouse must not earn more than the amount described below in order to qualify for the grant. Otherwise, the candidate will not be eligible.
For Single person
An individual must not have assets exceeding R1227 600 and earnings exceeding R86 280 to qualify for the older person’s grant.
For married couple
If the applicant is married, assets must not exceed R2 455 200 and earnings cannot exceed R172 560. Couples’ combined incomes were considered by the Sassa.
You may enjoy reading Types of SASSA Grants
Documents required to apply for the Sassa pension
The following documents are required for an application for an older grant pension:
- Identity document
- A standard SASSA form can be used if you do not have an ID. In addition, an affidavit is sworn in the presence of an Oath Commissioner who is not an official of SASSA. Make sure that at least one well-known individual signs your sworn statement. The Department of Home Affairs will take your fingerprints and forward them to Sassa. In order to prevent your application from being suspended, you can apply for the ID. As soon as Sassa receives your fingerprint and the above document, it can begin processing your application. You will not be able to submit your application unless you have an ID.
- If married, the spouse’s ID document is also required
- The proof of marital status. You will need, for example, a sworn statement or affidavit, the divorce order or proof, a marriage certificate, and a death certificate for your spouse.
- Proof of residence
- Income proof (include your spouse’s income document as well if you are married)
- Proof of assets that includes your property and your spouse’s assets (if married).
- Proof of income for dependent children (if any)
- Proof of private pension (if you have one)
- Bank statement for the past three months
- A discharge certificate from your former employer or proof of Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) membership
Note: Upon death within the last five years, a copy of the death certificate, the deceased’s will, and the first and final accounts for liquidation and distribution must be provided.
Older Persons Grant Outcome
You will be notified in writing whether your application was approved or rejected within 3 months after it has been assessed. In the event that you are rejected, SASSA will provide you with the reason for your rejection.
A reassessment of your application can be requested if it was rejected by SASSA. The Minister of Social Development may hear your appeal if your application is still rejected after reconsideration.
Applicants approved for payments will begin receiving them within three months of applying. You will receive your payments backdated to when you applied.
Older Persons Grant Payments
Your grant will be approved when you apply, and you will be paid the same day. The SASSA payment date is usually around the 2nd or 3rd of every month (it is usually around the 2nd or 3rd of each month).
There are three ways in which you can receive your Old Age Pension Grant (depending on your preference):
- Your bank account will be credited directly
- Cash collected at approved pay points
By visiting the Welfare office, you can change your payment method – the new method will be effective the following month.
Your grant may be collected by someone you nominate if you are unable to do so yourself.
You may enjoy reading What is SASSA OTP Code?
Older Persons Grant Reviews
If you are applying for a job, you must provide proof of all your incomes.
To continue receiving a grant, grant-holders must satisfy the grant criteria. Applications are reviewed every year to ensure they are still eligible. If your circumstances have changed, your application will be reviewed.
Three months before applications are to be reviewed, SASSA will notify applicants in writing. Your notification will inform you of the date and location of the review and what will happen following it. In the case of bedridden applicants, a home visit will be scheduled. A receipt of compliance will be issued once the review has been completed.
Refugee applicants will have their applications reviewed upon the expiration of their refugee status.
Older Persons Grant Suspension
The following reasons may cause your grant to be suspended:
- Changes in your circumstances
- In your application, you provided false or incorrect information
- When the grant was reviewed, you failed to cooperate
- Review results
- There was a mistake in approving the grant
Older Persons Grant Restoration
Within 90 days of receiving the suspension, you may apply to have your grant restored if it was suspended due to any of the reasons above.
Older Persons Grant Lapse
Here are some reasons why your grant may lapse:
- The grant holder has died
- An institution funded by the state admitted the grant holder
- Three consecutive months have passed without the grant being claimed
- South Africa is no longer home to the grant holder
- Grant holders no longer qualify for the grant – their assets or income have improved so they are no longer eligible
Older Persons Grant Notes
Grant holders are responsible for:
- Whenever your financial or personal circumstances change, keep SASSA informed
- Any changes to your contact information or physical address should be reported to SASSA
The SASSA will send official notices by registered mail to the applicant’s most recent address if any changes are made to the above. The suspension of your grant may occur if you don’t receive or act on the notices.
Fraudulent activities will not be tolerated by SASSA.
You may enjoy reading How To Submit Banking Details To SASSA
How to apply for a Sassa pension?
In addition to applying for a grant, you can also check the status of your Sassa grant application through any nearest Sassa office.
- Pension applications can be made through the Sassa office. In case of sickness or inability to visit, a family member or friend may apply on your behalf. You will need a note from yourself or from your doctor explaining why you cannot attend the office.
- A Sassa officer also conducts an interview to determine whether you qualify for the grant.
- Whenever you have difficulty filling out the Sassa form, the Sassa officer will assist you. The grant application form can only be filled out by you or the Sassa officer
- An application form receipt with a date stamp will be given to you when the application form filling process is complete.
- Keep this receipt as proof you applied, so keep it safe.
- For applying for the pension grant, you do not need to have any money.
- In case of acceptance, your application will be informed in writing, while in case of rejection, a letter will also inform you of the reasons for rejection.
- You can also request a reconsideration of the decision. Your application will still be rejected after reconsideration. The Minister of Social Development can then be contacted to appeal the decision. Appeals must be filed within 90 days of being notified, and the letter explains how to apply for one.
You can also check SASSA Contact Details here.
The following methods are available for payment.
- By choosing a specific point of payment in Cash.
- It may be possible to use a bank or Postbank account for payment (the bank may charge you for this service)
- Institutions (e.g. old age homes).
Note: If you are unable to collect your payment, you can appoint someone to do so on your behalf. Furthermore, you should be aware that the normal bank charges may also apply during money transfers. The form must be filled out at the welfare office if you wish to change the payment method. A month after the change in payment method is made, the new method will be applied.
Reason for Suspension:
The following reasons can lead to the suspension of your old age grant:
- A financial condition affecting the grant is the main reason for suspension.
- Sassa will not review your application if you do not cooperate.
- Whenever real documents or information are misrepresented or fraudulently obtained
- During the grant approving process, there may be errors in the document
- If you haven’t collected your grant income for more than three months, your grant will also be suspended
- In the event of death or prolonged absence from the republic.
It is the beneficiaries’ responsibility to notify Sassa of any changes in their financial circumstances or other circumstances. Otherwise, Sassa will not tolerate fraud or illegal activity.
Note: Grants can also be reinstated within 90 days of suspension if the application is submitted within that period
Reason for grant lapsing:
Upon death or absence from the country, the grant will lapse. As well as being admitted to prison, rehabilitation centers, or old age homes, your grant is affected. In order to take care of the people, the government will reduce the grant to 25%. You will continue to receive a reduction on your grant until you are discharged from that institute. After you have been admitted to the institution for four months, the grant expires.
Sassa pension increase 2022
In his budget speech for 2022, Finance Minister Enoch Godongwana indicated an increase in Sassa grants above inflation. In his inaugural budget speech for 2022, he makes this decision. The South African Social Security Agency (Sassa) provides financial assistance to more than 48% of South Africans. As a result of the review, the National Treasury, in the 2022 Budget, indicates that beneficiaries are expected to increase by about 1% over the next few years. Accordingly, 19.2 million people will be eligible for grants in 2024/25, up from 18.4 million in 2021/2022. Social Relief of Distress (SRD) grants of R350 are not included in this figure.
You may enjoy reading SASSA Grant Increases
Grant for beneficiaries (age less than 75)
From R1 890 (in April) to R1 985 (in October), the old-age grant for beneficiaries (under 75) will increase by 5.3%.
Grant for beneficiaries (age more than 75)
Pensioners over 75 will receive a 5.2% increase in April to R2 005 and then in October to R2,010.
How to apply for Sassa old age pension online?
Online applications for old age grants are not available. There is no online application form for Sassa old age pensions. Any Sassa office can provide you with the application and form.
How much is Sassa’s old-age pension in 2022?
You will receive an average monthly payout of R1780 from the Sassa if you are 75 years of age or older. Nonetheless, the national budget speech can change the grant amount every year.
How long does it take to process an application?
Grant applications take three months to process, but if approved, they are awarded from the date they are received.
Sassa Old Age Pensions provide financial assistance to elderly South Africans who are unable to work and support themselves. In many vulnerable communities, this social grant is the primary source of income for many individuals.
In addition to alleviating poverty, it promotes social inclusion and enables elderly people to live independently. It remains a vital part of South Africa’s social welfare system, despite some challenges and criticism.
Moreover, you can check SASSA Reapplication for R350 Grant here.